Selecting Your Approach to Flight Training

Flight training can be a daunting task, whether it be someone looking to get there initial start, or even for an experienced ATP pilot looking to stay current. Questions such as where do I begin, what is the right school, should I train part 141 or 61 are a few of many that come to mind. The correct answer to all of these questions is, it depends. It depends on what approach best fits the student’s needs and abilities. is here to guide students throughout their flight training search for the most effective results for the individuals students needs.

FAA Part 141 Flight Training

FAA regulations can sometimes be difficult to understand, we are here to simplify them and make it easy to understand regardless of your experience. If you are training under this regulation chances are you are training in a University flight training school program, or a program similarly structured in order to use VA benefits.

A student will receive the same FAA licenses as one would if they were to train Part 61, the process of obtaining those licenses is what differentiates the two. There will generally be more of an emphasis on groundwork, and thus usually require formal ground school lessons. It makes the most sense for a University program to train under these regulations because it is more adaptable to a classroom curriculum. If the student needs a highly structured setting, training under these conditions may be a good fit.


FAA Part 61 Flight Training

FAA regulations can sometimes be difficult to understand, we are here to simplify them and make it easy to understand regardless of your experience. If you are training under this regulation there are less mandatory ground requirements that need to be met, and with that said many local flight schools tend to train under these conditions.

Students will typically set up times to meet up with their instructors to cover some ground material and coordinate flight in general. The instructor will assign the student materials they should be reviewing to prepare for upcoming flights. Although it may sound less structured, minimum guidelines set forth by the FAA must be met in order for one to be issued their license regardless of whether the training be under Part 141 or 61 flight regulations.


Local Flight School – a flight school containing a small fleet of aircraft, managed by one or a few owners, and located at one particular airport.  Usually these are operated out of the airport’s FBO(Fixed Base Operation).

Regional Flight school – a school that has multiple locations at multiple airports spread out across a particular region.

Nationwide Flight School – a school that has numerous locations throughout a country, and has an abundant of resources available to aid in training.

University/Degree Program – a school with the primary mission being education that also offers a focus on aviation and the ability to earn pilot licensing alongside degree courses.

Private Pilot’s license – a basic and usually the first license one must train for in order to fly in general. It is the foundation that all other following licenses are built off of. (Do not let this confuse you with being a corporate pilot)

Instrument rating – a rating a pilot must hold in order to fly in IFR weather. IFR weather is going to be less than suitable conditions to fly visually.

Commercial Pilot’s license – a license that allows a pilot to fly for compensation. Do not let this be confused with Commercial Airline pilot. A commercial license can be for a Single Engine Aircraft or a Multi Engine Aircraft. A pilot must hold a minimum of 250 hours of total flight in order to be considered for an FAA check ride.

Multi Engine Rating – this is a rating that can be added on if you hold a private or Commercial Single engine license.  It will be dictated based off of what type of aircraft is used during initial training for the private or commercial.

ATP Certificate – ATP stands for Airline Transport Pilot. This certificate must be held if you are a pilot flying for a Commercial Airline under Part 121 regulations. The most notable aspect to obtaining this certificate is a pilot must hold 1500 hours of total time if there training was under part 61 regulations. Under part 141 it is 1000 hours.  There are other criteria a pilot must meet before obtaining this certificate.